Wednesday, December 28, 2016
Tucked in beautiful Sonoma County on 6 acres in the Russian River Valley Appellation, we find Jon Phillips owner/winemaker of Inspiration Vineyards. I tasted a few of Jon's wines several years ago and have been a fan ever since. Very excited when this 2013 was offered on Cellar Angels a few months back giving me the opportunity to sip and give back.
The 2013 Inspiracio is a blend of 55% Marsanne, 18% Viognier and 27% Roussanne. Harvest started Sept 19. 2013 and completed Oct 15, 2013. The wine was fermented in stainless steel in 3 lots with Viognier being blended to achieve balance.Only 111 cases produced.
On the nose tart green apple with hints of apricot, tropical fruit and a burst of floral notes. Love the aromatics and freshness of the wine. The mouth is full of apple and apricot with a hint of the tropics. Refreshing citrus notes on the finish. My palate screamed more on each empty glass. I paired this wine with chicken stir fry as well as some Havarti cheese. What a pairing. Well done Jon. Fans of Rhone wines I highly recommend this gem.
Swing by the tasting room on your next visit to Santa Rosa located at 3360 Coffey Lane Suite E Santa Rosa open Friday-Sunday 11am to 4:30pm. Meet the winemaker who has a passion for pleasing your palate with his wines.
Sunday, December 25, 2016
This wine tonight comes from Northern Italy's Alto Adige region which sits on the border of Austria and Switzerland. Harvested from the southern slopes of the Dolomites, the region is well suited for growing these aromatic grapes for the wine. The vineyards themselves are situated in the middle of the valley floor and the farming is all herbicide free. Organic fertilizer for these grape vines which is why you will find wild flowers, grass and clover growing in the vineyard.
The nose shows nicely with bright red cherry, red berry clusters and red currents with a hint of wild flowers. 70% of the wine was barrel aged 12 months in french oak after 2 gentle rackings, with the remaining 30% in small casks of french oak (barriques) which were 2-3 years old. The wine is blended, bottled then aged an additional 6 months before release.
The mouth is soft and elegant with the cherries, sour cranberries and currant spice. The flavors flow beautifully in the mouth. Ripe mature fruit. SRP $18 a nice price point for this wine. Cellar up to 8 years.
Thanks Jane for this solid sample of Italian Pinot Noir
Saturday, December 10, 2016
First this was a very fine tasting start to finish and so grateful to be chosen with such an esteemed line up of bloggers. Tonight's focus was on #GreenValleyWine. Located in Sonoma County specifically the southwestern corner of the Russian River Valley, it's one of the coolest appellations due to the close proximity to the Pacific Ocean. Varietals which thrive on this climate include chardonnay, pinot noir and syrah. The wines in our line up included the 2013 Sedition Chenoweth Vineyard Pinot Noir, a 2013 Camlow Magna Porcum (Big Pig) Vineyard Pinot Noir and finally a 2012 Scherrer Calypso Vineyard Syrah.
Up first we started with Sedition. Only 230 cases produced and aged 16 months in 33% new french oak. Made from 3 clones (Pommard, 667 and 828) the nose and mouth are rich and lush. Ripe cherry with a beautify earthy baking spice on the nose. The mouth is elegant with juicy cherry, cola and spice. The finish is long and juicy and I completely agree with the winemaker your glass begs for more. Absolute perfection!
Second wine of the evening was the Camlow Magna Porcum. 211 cases produced from 4 clones (Swan, Pommard, DRC & Calera) grown in the Big Pig Vineyard. Aged 15 months in new and used french oak barrels.I found loads of rich dark fruit and spice on the nose which screams drink me now. The mouth was both juicy and soft with the dark cherry and plumb with a long finish. Loved too the spice on the finish as this baby warmed me up. Another excellent over the top pinot!
Final wine of the evening was the Scherrer Syrah with a case production of just 67. The very small vineyard for these grapes are a tad higher in elevation and warmer which will give this wine a slight different profile year to year. The minute I pulled the cork the aromas raced from the glass. Blackberry, mocha, chocolate intertwined with floral notes and a peppery spice. The mouth big yet soft almost regal like with the dark rich fruit followed by a splash of red fruit leaving you craving more. The pepper spice gives the wine a sassy kick. I may have just tasted one of the best Syrah's produced.
Thanks to our owners and winemakers for treating us to this wonderful tasting this evening. Please visit their websites by clicking the links to purchase and taste these wines. I promise you will love them.