Saturday, March 16, 2013

Welcome To Portugal and Vinho Verde



Being part of the Wines of Vinho Verde blogger nation, I have come to love these inexpensive, lower alcohol very food friendly wines from Portugal. I look forward each quarter to my next tasting and what suprise will await me. Today we tasted Famega and a 2011 Colheita Harvest Arca Nova Branco. If you stopped by my house you might possibly have heard me say "I love Portugal"

I started with the Famega a crisp, clear, very clean white wine. Fresh melon, cantaloupe and white peach on the nose, the citrus fruit was very pleasing. On the mouth, the cantaloupe and white peach were refreshing with a nice hint of mineral on the finish. I was sipping while I cooked deep fried shrimp (there went 1/2 the bottle) and enjoyed a glass with dinner. Nice compliment to the dish. I was in the mood for spring and this wine hit the spot.

Next to taste the Arco Nova with its bigger citrus nose of lime, lemon, pear and fresh peach. Nice fresh fruit aromas. On the mouth a big lemon lime beginning with pear and mineral finish. I enjoyed this wine with a salad of fresh crisp greens drizzled with lemon juice and olive oil. Delicious.

Drink by themselves or pair with food these versatile white wines from the Vinho Verde region of Portugal will treat you and your friends. Wines which won't break the bank, deliver the taste you expect in wine....what more could one ask. Enjoy some juice from Portugal.

Cheers
Dan

No comments: