Sunday, March 27, 2022

2014 Cornerstone Cellars Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Calistoga

 


Just so happens this wine was a sample received a few years ago and while letting it age, I wanted to pull it for a special meal. Tonight, was that night to serve with braised beef short ribs over mashed potatoes.

It was 12 years ago when I first was introduced to Cornerstone Cellars and then a tasting when I paid a visit on a trip to Napa and Sonoma. The tasting room has changed over the years, but the wines have remained exquisite.

I opened the bottle a couple hours prior to dinner and poured a small glass without drinking (I know you find this hard to believe) but continued to swirl and sniff in 30 minute intervals to allow the wine to open and to feel it evolve. Loads of dark fruit on the nose with blackberry dominant followed by plum, black currants, coffee bean and toasty oak. The mouth is rich with blackberry, plum, a hint of juicy raspberry wrapped around fennel and star anise. The fruit lingers long in the mouth. 

I would highly recommend a stop by Cornerstone Cellars Tasting Room on your next visit to Napa. 

Cheers

Dan

No comments: