Saturday, June 22, 2013

Kramer Vineyards Virtual Taste 2102 Rose of Carmine and 2009 Carmine Big Red


Always stoked when I have the opportunity to taste a new wine and tonight's were both special from Kramer Vineyards a 2012 Rose Of Carmine "Little Red" and the 2009 Carmine "Big Red". The event dubbed #TasteKramerWine on Twitter encompassed my friends from all across the country including the winemaker who answered many of our questions while we tasted/tweeted. These are super fun events and a great way to compare your thoughts with others and really see how different our palates react.

Carmine is a hybrid (yes I used the term don't shoot me) of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Carignane originally developed as an alternative Cabernet in the California cool coast regions. Known as a late budder and ripener, these grapes offer wines which are intense in color, aroma and ample tannins. Name 2 states who plant a good amount of these grapes for wine production. If you answered Oregon and Michigan then treat yourself to a glass.

First up I tasted the 2012 Rose Of Carmine which offered a luscious strawberry nose sprinkled with peach notes and fresh cut rose pedals. Allowing the wine to open slightly more in the glass hints of watermelon and dried herbs. Aromatic rose we have here!

My buddy Dezel had to laugh when I commented I'm in "Rose' Heaven" after my first sip. The strawberry/watermelon is so juicy and lingers long while the peach and white pepper splash complete the wine. I love the layers of flavor and how well this grape works in a rose'. Pairing this wine with a nice bbq rib dinner would be awesome!

Next the big boy 2009 Carmine "Big Red". Excellent fruit aromas of blackberry, raspberry and plum. The spice notes are big (cloves, pepper, herbs) with a nice hint of vanilla and toasty oak. Absolutely pleasing to the nose!

Wow is the word when I tasted. Ripe fruit with raspberry, blackberry, plum and even cherry. The spice and vanilla greats your palate the longer you hold the juice in your mouth while the finish is elegant and somewhat silky. Little bit of tannin on the finish. I paired this wine with my porcupine meatballs slathered in marinara sauce and what a pairing. I believe our esteemed winemaker proclaimed "Carmine loves red sauce". I couldn't agree more. Dezel commented if this were a blind tasting he would have thought the wine was "Barbera". Mr Beau always has to one up all of us and said "This is the best carmine I have ever tasted". Little bias there as he is about to be family LOL.

Kim thanks for including me and introducing me to a grape I knew nothing about. Once again spoiled by your wines. Maybe the next virtual taste hashtag should be #alwaysdrinkkramerwine LOL. Folks make sure you check out Kramer Vineyards website including their story and wines which they produce. If you happen to visit Oregon wine country stop in for a visit......they will be more than happy to pour you a few glasses.

Cheers
Dan

No comments: