Saturday, October 12, 2013

Boxwood Winery on Virginia Wine Chat hosted by Frank Morgan



Frank Morgan is a huge promoter/advocate of  Virginia Wines asked me if I would like to participate in his wine forum called #VAWineChat featuring Boxwood Winery. I jumped at the chance to taste my very first Virginia wine which I have heard so much about.

Located in Middleburg Virginia, Boxwood Estate Winery produces wines from the varietals Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, Merlot, and Malbec in the Bordeaux traditional style. A beautiful state of the art facility to produce boutique wines, the vineyards supplying the grapes were first planted in 2004 with production commencing in 2006. I mentioned the next time I'm in VA I should really stop by for a visit.

First wine of the evening was the 2011 Topiary a red blend of 68% Cabernet Franc and 32% Merlot. How ironic we were drinking this on National Merlot Day. I enjoyed the silky elegant nose of fresh cut violets with rich ripe red fruit. Cherry, raspberry and strawberry dance across the nose in harmony. If I didn't know this was a blend on a blind taste I would have bet a Pinot. Love the delicate mouth with the cherry and strawberry front and center. Little earthy notes and a nice touch of dried thyme on the finish. Well done!

Now comes Mr. Bold The 2010 Boxwood a red blend of 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 43% Merlot and 7% Petit Verdot. Pair this wine with a big juicy steak or hearty beef stew and you will be in love. The nose shows tons of dark fruit, white pepper, clove, tobacco and licorice. I get some earthy herbal notes as well as the wine opens. In the mouth big dark fruit continues with blackberry, plum, raspberry and blueberry followed by the clove and herbs. I enjoyed how the wine softened with air time. Excellent!

A big thank you to Boxwood Winery for introducing me to their wines. I never knew VA made this variety of juice. Frank Morgan as well for including me in this weeks #VAWineChat. Love being introduced to new wines and I had a blast. The more people who discover Virginia Wines the more folks will be drinking this mighty fine nectar of the gods.

Cheers
Dan




No comments: