Monday, November 18, 2013

2002 Eric Ross Russian River Valley Saralee's Vineyard Pinot Noir


Just what the doctor ordered to bring me out of the fog I was in. Over the last couple months I've just been drinking wine, not giving much thought to the grapes or the winemaker, how the wine aged or even where it originated. One email I received asked if I had given up tasting and sharing my thoughts. No inspiration maybe, or just a chance to step back and evaluate why I started this blog, who reads it and why. So I surfed the cellar and grabbed the oldest bottle of Pinot Noir I owned a 2002 Eric Ross RRV.

I imagine your asking yourself how can a Pinot be 11 years old and still drinkable. After all shouldn't one drink them up to 4 years past their birth? When you know the winemaker and the quality of the wine they produce, opening an aged bottle is a treat.

First thing I notice is the color. Deep maroon as if the wine was just bottle 6 months ago. Black cherry and cranberry with huge cola and cinnamon notes treat the nose. Hint of dried herbs and plum. Amazing how the fruit and spice blend so well together to create this beautiful bouquet even after all these years.

Eric Ross is why you should drink small production wine. Cherry and tart cranberry with crushed clove and cinnamon. Plum and cola notes round out the soft finish. Still shows an elegant character and a nice complexity. The wine has aged nicely Eric. Well done.

I want you to open the oldest bottle you own and treat yourself this week. Let's see who wins the "I drank the oldest bottle this week" contest. Make it a small production wine will you.

Cheers
Dan




No comments: