Tuesday, February 23, 2016

2014 LaMontagne Malvasia and 2013 LaMontagne Pinot Noir Sta. Rita Hills on WineStudio



*Samples Received*

Another informative #Winestudio show with winemaker Kim Smith of LaMontagne Winery. I enjoy hearing the winemakers journey and their passion for making wine. To have the itch to go back to school to find out why you love pinot noir then to proceed to build a successful brand is a special talent. Sales are direct to consumer and sold thru her wine club so tonight's tasting was a chance to introduce my palate to another small production boutique winery.

The first wine of the evening was the 2014 Malvasia a wonderful aromatic white wine. The nose exhibits tropical notes of pineapple, white peach, pear, with lemon citrus and floral notes. Love the complex aromas. The mouth was lively with pear, peach, pineapple with hints of melon, lemon and a nice minerality on the finish. I sipped this baby while I cooked pasta, shrimp all drizzled with fresh lemon and then paired with the dish. Kim this was such a great wine. Priced at $30 and only 100 cases produced.

Up next was the 2013 Pinot Noir Sta. Rita Hills which was amazing. The nose was so full of ripe red fruit with rich red cherry, strawberry and rhubarb with hints of earthy tones and cinnamon . Sniffing this wine took me back to my days harvesting rhubarb from the garden and my grandmother making pie. The mouth with juicy cherry, cranberry, sliced strawberry and baking spice was so elegant. A delicate hint of the earthiness  as you move to the long silky finish. I'll place this in my top 5 favorite Pinots. Nicely done Kim!

Check out #winestudio every Tuesday night for an informative wine discussion and tasting.

Cheers
Dan

No comments: