Sunday, July 10, 2016

2012 Bonneau Cabernet Sauvignon Moon Mountain District Caton Vineyards Sonoma County


*Sample Received*

Always a great discussion when John Bambury vintner of Bonneau Wines visits Cellars Of Sonoma for an evening on TV Tuesday Live. His insight into the winemaking process from vineyards to barrels is straight forward and to the point. There is no mediocre in his philosophy and he has perfected his wine making craft.

The Cabernet grapes for this wine were grown at the Caton Vineyards located in the Moon Mountain District. The vines were located on the eastern foothills of the Sonoma Valley in rocky clay soils with a southern exposure ideal for growing these grapes. The wine was aged 22 months fine french oak barrels.

The nose is intense aroma packed with dark fruit consisting of black raspberry and cherry. Hints of cocoa with cloves compliment the fruit. One thing I find with Johns wines is that I have just as much pleasure swirling and sniffing as I do tasting.

The mouth is luscious with the red and black raspberry so juicy followed by vanilla bean and coca powder. A slight hint of clove but faint. When I taste the fruit it takes me back to my younger days when my friend and I would harvest raspberry for his mother to make jam and pie. Funny thing those berries rarely made it back up the hill like this bottle which didn't last long either. The finish is soft, silky and elegant begging you to drink more. One excellent Cabernet John!

Thanks to Scott and the crew at Cellars for inviting me to this tasting series of boutique wines. Thank you John Bambury for sharing your wines with me. Always a great tasting with you and Scott.

Cheers
Dan



No comments: