Saturday, October 20, 2012

Gran Reserva Serie Riberas Chile on Tastelive




Let's call this night "Lost in Chile" an hour long tasting/interation with winemaker Marcio Ramirez. 4 Single Vineyard Wines Sauvignon Blanc, Malbec, Carmenere and Cabernet Sauvignon were on tonight's menu all grown/harvested near Chile's major rivers. The vineyards are planted on river terraces and hillsides which are mineral rich and free draining. The climate is perfect with the fresh sea breezes and cold mountain winds cooling the grapes from the warm sunny days. The result are wines with intense flavor and complex aromas.

Wine one was the 2011 Sauvignon Blanc from the Ucuquer Vineyard which lies on the south bank of the Rapel River. Aged in stainless steel tanks for 6 months, the aromas of lemongrass, grapefruit, tangerine, cantaloupe and lime zest tickle the nose. The fruit was so vibrant on the nose. The flavor was intense with pear, cantaloupe, lime and a nice mineral finish. I found the wine full of citrus and tropical flavors with nice acidity. Beautiful wine to start the evening.

Up next the 2011 Malbec from the Palo Santo Vineyard near the Tinguiririca River. Right out of the gate the chocolate and blueberry aromas were very intense. Plum, blackberry with hints of tobacco and leather finishing with the faintest oak nuance. As you swirled these layers circled your nose and this baby was ready for some mouth time. Ripe plum and juicy blueberry followed by cocoa powder, blackberry with leathery oak on the finish. Great combination of flavors.

I loved all these wines this evening but I must say wine 3 may have been my favorite. The 2010 Carmenere from the Peumo Vineyard showed nicely in the glass. Blackberry, pepper, sweet vanilla, mocca, blueberry and plum. Intense ripe fruit and spice I thought for sure this wine would be bold. Silky and soft with creamy blueberry followed by rich plum. Vanilla with hints of mocca and cocoa. With a piece of dark chocolate the wine is like butter in your mouth. Many of you know my love of the cherry in Pinot but I adore the blueberry in this Carmenere!

The final wine of the evening Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 from the Palo Santo Vineyard. Full of cherry, plum, blackberry, molasses, leather and spice on the nose. As I swirl I'm thinking about a nice juicy beef filet. Fresh raspberry, ripe cherry and red plum with a nice clove/oak finish. I believe my comment was "just flat delicious". That steak you ask......dinner night 2 of this wine and one great pairing.

Marcio it was a pleasure meeting you and tasting your wines. My first introduction to these wines and I am very impressed. The beauty of the country is stunning and I hope to visit one day. Cailyn and Joel bravo on another excellent tasting. Great to see many of my blogger friends at this event too. We shared some great thoughts and awesome wine. Learn more about this fine juice by clicking the link Gran Reserva Wine

Cheers
Dan

No comments: