Saturday, February 16, 2013

Steven Kent Wines A Virtual Twitter Taste Feb 2013


What an introduction to the Steven Kent Portfolio at tonight's virtual Twitter taste! Six wines graced my palate along with several of my wino friends. We all had the opportunity to talk directly with Steven Kent Mirassou discussing everything from flavors to regions or as I like to say "all things wine" The lineup included a 2011 "Lola" (Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon Blend) priced at $24. A 2010 La Rochelle Chardonnay Dutton-Morelli Lane Russian River Valley $65. A 2009 La Rochelle Pinot Noir Santa Lucia Highlands $38. A 2009 La Rochelle Pinot Noir Donum Estate Carneros $75. A 2009 Steven Kent Petit Verdot Ghielmetti Vineyard Livermore Valley $50. Finally a 2009 Steven Kent Cabernet Home Ranch Vineyard Livermore Valley $65. Crisp to elegant and everything inbetween. Great fruit with perfect balance. Let's get started.

Wine one the 2011 "Lola" from the Ghielmetti Vineyard Livermore Valley. A beautiful white blend of 65% Sauvignon Blanc and 35% Semillon. Lemon/lime citrus with orange zest. Fresh pear and tart apple. When the wine warms up I get a touch of fresh sliced ginger. Excellent balance of fruit and acidity. I wish it were warmer here because this is a definate refreshing porch sipper to start the evening. Well done!

Wine two the 2010 Chardonnay Dutton Ranch-Morelli Lane Vineyard from the Russian River Valley. Really love the nose on this wine with its green apple, ripe pear, lemon, fresh melon, creme brulee. Nice flavor combination with peach, apple, pear and orange peel with a hint of butterscotch. We have started with 2 tasty treats.

I have become a huge fan of Santa Lucia Highlands wine and the 2009 Pinot Noir from LaRochelle is no exception. Aromas of cherry, raspberry, clove, anis and a wet earthy note. On the mouth ripe cherry, raspberry, strawberry and a perfect balance of clove spice. Warms me up on the finish. I have to say this may have been one of my favorites of the night. With both Pinots I paired my pork medallions with wild cherry pomegranate reduction sauce. Pork and pinot what a treat.

Lets keep the pinot flowing with our next selection the 2009 LaRochelle Donum Estate Vineyard Carneros Pinot Noir. Cherry with dried herbs followed by that dead giveaway Carneros eucalyptus aroma. Raspberry, cinnamon with a hint of earthiness. Wonderful mouth feel with the red fruit (cherry and raspberry) very juicy from start to finish sprinkled with the herbal notes and spice. Definite pronounced layers of flavor with each sip. I'm in "pinot heaven" right now thanks to LaRochelle.

Twist my arm we are on to wine 5 of the evening the 2009 Steven Kent Petit Verdot Ghielmetti Vineyard in Livermore Valley. Big wine in both aroma and flavor. Smokey oak, blackberry, raspberry, tobacco, cocoa and spice. On the mouth I really enjoyed the huge jammy fruit combined with the spice and that slight hint of chocolate on the finish. When I go back to the wine later hints of plum and black licorice appear. A ton going on with this wine and so well balanced with fruit and spice as well. Right away I'm thinking hearty beef roast to pair with this wine and even had some comments if I was inviting the gang over for dinner. The more the better.....great food + great wine= a fun time.

The final wine of the evening the 2009 Steven Kent Cabernet Sauvignon Home Ranch Vineyard Livermore Valley. Right from the start the cherry and fresh mint aromas come screaming from the glass. Cloves and a combination of blackberry/black raspberry fill my nose. Silky and elegant in the mouth with the cherry, black raspberry, blackberry dancing on my tongue followed by the mint and chocolate. The finish was beautiful as smooth as milk chocolate. My first thought with cabernet is to always pair with a steak but honestly I found myself just wanting to enjoy this wine by itself. I'm going to purchase another bottle and allow it to age and compare. Young and will only get better. Ok maybe this was my favorite tonight.

A big thank you to Steven Kent Mirassou, Stacey Orozco and Tracey Hoff for the invitation to tonight's event. You spoiled this wino's palate. Impressive wines. To Michael Wangbickler and all my blogger friends it was fun spending time with you talking wine. Finally to the staff at Steven Kent Winery and La Rochelle....there is a lot of love in each bottle. Thank you for a wonderful evening. I better plan a visit and soon. My favorite of the night........all of them!

Cheers
Dan

Save $300 on Vacation Package Cheap Tickets.com

Save on Riviera Maya Vacations Thru Orbitz

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dan:

It was a real pleasure being able to taste with you. This was the first time we had done a twitter tasting, and it wonderful to get feedback from such passionate and knowledgeable wine drinkers and writers. Many thanks for your time and for your post.

Steven Mirassou