Monday, September 2, 2013

Casillero del Diablo Reserva wines of Chile



Tonight's wines were media samples and categorized as value wines under $10. I have had multiple requests as to why I drink wines in the $25 plus range but never value wines. I would rate this evenings wines as decent if your looking to spend $8.00 on a bottle and looking for a Chilean experience.

First up was the 2011 Sauvignon Blanc  originated from the Casablanca, Limari and Rapel Valleys. I found a huge citrus nose and mouth. Lime and grapefruit with hints of tart green apple and pineapple. A little coastal feeling to it.

Up next the 2011 Cabernet Sauvignon  from the Central Valley. Raspberry, blackberry with spice and cherry. Vanilla, plum and smoke notes. More berry on the mouth and I was a little disappointed with the absence of spice and oak which I am expecting in a Cab.

Final wine was the 2011 Merlot also from the Central Valley. Tons of plum, dark cherry hints of cocoa and vanilla. On the mouth cherry, raspberry and plum combine to make the wine very juicy with an oak spice finish.

I do like Chilean Wines and suggest you try these if your new to wine and Chile.

Cheers
Dan

No comments: