Sunday, October 7, 2018

2015 Scarpetta Barbera del Monferrato Italy


It had been a while since I stopped into my friends local wine store (Traci might have wondered if I had quit drinking) and I was on a mission for some Italian Wine. So chatting with her husband Ron (she was MIA which I made sure to point out to her) I told him I was looking for some Barbera. I've fallen in love with this varietal since eating at Ruscianos.

Scouring the shelves here was a 2015 Scarpetta Barbera del Monferrato which was recommended. It was a solid find let me tell you. Monferrato is the birthplace for Barbera. While made in many other areas of Piemonte, Monferrato is where you will find the perfect balance of fruit and acidity in the grapes harvested for this wine. The Northern Italian hills produce some of the most requested wines in the world.

Pull the cork from this beauty and the fruit aromas explode from the glass. Clusters of red fruit cherry, raspberry and plum with dark fruit clusters as well (blackberry, blueberry). A hint of tobacco and earthy forest notes along with a puff of cedar.

The mouth is so lush and elegant. The red and dark fruit intermingle throughout the taste from cherry to raspberry to plum and blueberry to blackberry. Lovely bursts of the fruit clusters with just a hint of earth, leather and cedar on the finish. I picture myself sipping this wine overlooking the Italian hills while enjoying a traditional meal. I might even drink this for breakfast if I could get away with it. I need more of this.

Cheers
Dan

No comments: