Saturday, October 6, 2018

#Tasteup4 Pedroncelli Pinot Noir, Merlot and Wisdom With Slow Cooker Beef and Pasta with Porcini



*Samples Received*

I am blown away by the consistency of Pedroncelli Wines each time I taste a vintage or varietal. Elegant or full bodied their lineup offers value to every level of wine aficionado. Tonight we tasted 3 silky smooth wines in the 2016 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir, the 2016 Bench Vineyards Merlot Dry Creek Valley and the 2014 Dry Creek Valley Estate Vineyard Wisdom Cabernet Sauvignon. We paired the Merlot and Wisdom Cab with the slow cooked beef over pasta with porcini mushrooms.

The house was smelling like the holidays with beef in a rich broth making it's way to every corner of the house. We were instructed while cooking to pop open the 2016 Pinot Noir. No need to twist my arm. As folks from across the country and Ed and Julie at the winery started conversing, we learned this wonderful Pinot was sourced from 4 different growers and was picked in the first week of September. The nose shows nicely with ripe cherry and fresh sliced strawberry. Hints of rose pedals and earthy tones and a splash of molasses. The mouth is a blast of red fruit with tart cherry, cranberry and strawberry with a splash of plum. Sprinkle in a kiss of vanilla and toasted oak and you have one delicious Pinot Noir. The wine went down way to smooth!!! I think Ed knew something starting us off with this wine.

Next up was the 2016 Benchland Vineyards Merlot which was also part of the dish. Now I would love to see this wine in a blind taste because I bet 50/50 they can't guess Merlot. Not a plum bomb but a wine which shows plum and cherry wrapped around dried herbs and baking spice finishing with a dollop of vanilla crème. The Pedroncelli's would tell you this is a Cabernet Lovers Merlot. Yep that nails it. This wine works well with the beef and the merlot infused mushrooms. I asked Ed if I could have more and his response "I know where you can get more!" He is one smart guy.

On to the last wine the 2014 Wisdom Cabernet Sauvignon. From the minute you open the bottle plum and blackberry race from your glass followed by currants, a hint of thyme and pepper notes. The mouth is rich with dark fruit and the pepper spice and that kiss of herbs and toasted vanilla. The dark fruit works really well with the beef also. Eating and drinking like a king with this wine and dish. While I'm a huge Pinot fan I found putting this wine down was difficult. Might have been my favorite of the night.

I now have another recipe to use courtesy of Julie and 3 more favorite wines thanks to Ed including me in this tasting. Spoiled my palate again! Folks these wines are a must for your table and dinners.

Cheers
Dan

No comments: