Saturday, March 26, 2022

2018 Pedroncelli Sonoma Classico Red Blend Sonoma County Cry Creek Valley

 


Some wise gentleman at Pedroncelli once told me I would really enjoy this wine and how ironic he was correct. So thanks Ed for introducing me to this wine. Every time I open a vintage for some reason I start blurting out "When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie that's amore" and big surprise I paired the wine with pizza pie. 

The Sonoma Classico is a proprietary blend of Merlot, Syrah, Sangiovese, and Zinfandel. The grapes were all harvested in the Dry Creek and Alexander Valley Appellation. 2018 what was a very good year for growing with excellent ripe fruit and the perfect amount of acidity. The wine was aged 14 months in seasoned American oak barrels which softens the wine and gives it its complexity.

Swirl and smell and the fruit rises with plum, cherry, blackberry with a hint of violets and baking spice. The mouth is to die for if you love Italian wines with Sangiovese because this one does not disappoint. Jammy fruit from the start with blackberry, plum, cherry followed by vanilla cream and a subtle yet soft spicey finish with a touch of oak. A wine I keep on hand at all times. Pizza is from a local restaurant and a recipe I grew up on as a kid. Delicious pairing.

Support this family winery by stopping by for a visit or ordering wines online. 



No comments: