Monday, October 4, 2010

Three Sticks Tastelive Panel Tasting 08 Durell Vineyard Chardonnay 06 Cabernet Sauvignon


What an absolute honor to be chosen as a panel member for the release of Three Sticks Vineyards 08 Durell Vineyard Chardonnay and the 06 Cabernet Sauvignon. Luscious fruit, complex flavors this wine will spoil you with each taste. Sharing the stage with the likes of twitter friends DrinkwhatULike, HoustonWino, SwirlGirls, Cellarmistress, WineWonkette, MyVineSpot, CailynQ, and Three Sticks owner Bill Price was truly an experience I will never forget. Highly recommend all wines from Three Sticks!

We started this evening with the 2008 Durell Vineyard Chardonnay. First I found the aroma of butterscotch followed closely by pear. Others were just the opposite. As the wine warmed I really saw the pear aroma come to the forefront. Lemon zest/citrus along with the tropical fruit/melon.

I paired this wine with an iceberg lettuce salad and Cesar dressing and how wonderful. The flavors of apple, melon, peach along with a creamy vanilla flowed perfectly. A wonderful lemon zest finishes the wine which lingers long. A wine which truly spoils the Chardonnay lover.


The second wine of the evening the 06 Cabernet Sauvignon I paired with an Amana Beef Fillet grilled of course. Another spectacular pairing but then great cabernet and beef are a marriage.

The aromas of black cherry and blackberry explode once in the glass. Excellent nose on this wine. In the middle juicy plum. Another wine I could smell all night.

Wow was my first reaction. Boysenberry and plum with spice was so very good. Very smooth, juicy and as I commented drinks like a wine well above $100. The flavors flow nicely together and neither overpowers the other. A blend of 82% Cabernet, 10% Cabernet Franc, 5% Petit Verdot and 3% Malbec this lush wine spoiled me.

I know your excited to try your own bottle. Please visit their website Three Sticks Wine and sign up for their allocation list or to learn more about their wines. A big thank you to Owner Bill Price, Head Winemaker Don VanStaaveren, Assistant Winemaker Tracey Bledsoe, COO Prema Behan and all the fine folks at Three Sticks. Superb wine, great people. You spoil me with each bottle I enjoy.

Cheers
Dan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YEAH! Thanks Dan. I feel like the luckiest woman on the planet getting to work with these wines and this great team of folks everyday! Cheers to being a Wino! - Prema