Wednesday, May 22, 2013

2011 Biltmore Century Red and Century White North Carolina

 Imagine the most visited winery in the United States hails from Asheville North Carolina. If you guessed The Biltmore (I'm sure Elizabeth Smith was correct) have a glass of wine. The Biltmore House blends the elegance of a French chateau with classic American living. Experimental grapes were planted in 1971 and as we fast forward to May 1985, the winery was officially open to the public. Strategic grape growing partners in California and Washington along with their North Carolina grapes, the Biltmore Winery is able to meet the wine needs of their customers across the country.The wines received as samples were the top sellers among the estate guests.

Up first The Century Red. A blend of Sangiovese, Merlot and Zinfandel the grapes were sourced from California in Lake County, Sonoma and Cienega Valley. On the nose blackberry and raspberry really dominate with wild flowers and vanilla calming the senses. As the wine warms hints of oak, plum and herbs.

Pleasantly surprised on the first sip with ripe raspberry and rich blackberry combining with a nice soft plum. Definitely a fruit forward wine. The finish while still showcasing the fruit had a hint of spice. Nice touch.

Wine 2 was the Century White Wine consisting of a blend Muscat Canelli, Riesling, Gewurztraminer and Malvasia. 99% of the grapes were sourced from Mendocino and Monterey with the remaining 1% from North Carolina. On the nose lime, honey, vanilla and hints of licorice, lemon zest and melon. A tropical feel with a splash of floral.

In the mouth loads of lemon and lime with sweet honeydew melon and kiwi. Add a shot of honey for sweetness and bingo you have a nice little dessert wine.

Visit their website Biltmore Winery and see all they have to offer. Inexpensive unique handcrafted wines for easy drinking.


No comments: