Friday, August 6, 2010

1st Avenue Wine House Welcomes Dutcher Crossing Winery Dry Creek Ca

 Had this date penciled in the calendar for awhile because I love the events my good friends Traci & Ron Weber owners of 1st Avenue Wine House host. Another benefit was owner Debra Mathy and wine maker Kerry Damskey made the trip from CA to Iowa to pour some of their award winning wines. While I was in Napa/Sonoma for a visit in June, Deb and I could not get our schedules to coordinate but she made me promise I would come out again and we would barrel taste. If you have never barrel tasted I highly recommend! So cool!

Interesting how Traci and Ron were introduced to Dutcher Crossing wine 3 years ago over a bottle of their Zinfandel at a dinner party. After a visit to the winery and no doubt a few bottles later over great conversation, 1st Avenue Wine House is the only retail shop outside the winery to sell Dutcher Crossing Wines.

So you wonder how the tasting went? 8 very exceptional great wines this evening. I loved them all and actually because of the hot weather chose a couple outstanding whites for purchase the Sauvignon Blanc and the Saralee Chardonnay. The prices tonight ranged from $22.99 to $43.99 and all definately worth the price.

On the deck we started with 2009 Sauvignon Blanc Dry Creek. Nice crisp refreshing wine which is a blend of Semillon, Viognier & Roussanne. Nice citrus but not overpowering. Off to a great start.

Courtyard station 1 was next and this is where owner Debra Matheny was pouring. Wine 1 was the Costello Chardonnay from Alexander Valley. Very nice pear on the nose with a slight hint of vanilla. Loved the taste with the pear, vanilla combination and nicely not over oaked. I would drink this baby every day. Wine 2 was their Saralee Vineyard Chardonnay. Really nice and as stated before a purchase and signed by Deb. Wonderful pear and baked apple aroma so creamy and rich. The taste to die for. Pear, apple, a hint of butterscotch (only after the description did I figure the butterscotch) and the finish a touch citris. Wine 3 was the Proprietor's Zinfandel. The juicy cherry, spice and plum really blend well together. Nice full flavor. So far 4/4.

Courtyard station 2 where wine maker Kerry Damskey was pouring,  I started with the Proprietor's Syrah. My pick for the silky wine of the evening. Black cherry, blueberry, vanilla and a nice spice finish. Loved this wine with a finger food of bbq meat topped with what I think was cole slaw. Next up the Maple Vineyards Zinfandel. Big wine here and for good reason. Flavors of blackberry, juicy cherry, vanilla and nice spice finish. I'll have this one on hand come fall. Finally the Proprietor's Cabernet which Kerry stated has a blend of 25% Syrah. Nice dark berry, cherry and a hint of oak. Really smooth cabernet. Another wine I will need to keep on hand. Last wine was let's call the grandaddy of the evening the The Taylor's Reserve Cabernet. Great dark fruit, dark cherry, I also picked up some red raspberry. Again not a lot of oak and another of my favorites this evening.

What a wonderful tasting event. Great flavors and aromas on each wine and I absolutley love the fact each was not overly oaky. Debra really worked the crowd and made sure folks were educated on the wines. I think I even got a couple "extra pours". Kerry also was educating many of us the complexity of his wines. I would have loved to chat with him more about his philosphy on wine making from fruit to oak.

Traci and Ron thanks for another great evening. I almost forgot congrats on being named #1 wine shop on KCRG's A-List. Well deserved!

Cheers
Dan

2 comments:

cellarmistress said...

Man,I'm going to have to get me some of those when I go out there in a few months! Your descriptions are wonderful!

Debra Mathy said...

See you soon Dan!! You promised!