Saturday, August 7, 2010

2002 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley


I had big plans for Wine Wednesday having a couple of the "work wine club" members stop by on their way home to enjoy a couple samples. Unfortunately a last minute family dinner was scheduled and one had to reschedule. Fortunately Brett was able to stop by and I thought what better to share than the 02 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon which I received as a sample from wine maker Cathy Corison.

I served the wine with some smoked gouda and a nice fontina cheese. Both went very well with the wine. In the glass you could really identify the blackberry right from the start. I got a slight hint of plum and the end was a wonderful spice aroma. Brett even commented on the color of the wine for an 02 looking as if it were a recent vintage.

Really nice dark berry flavor on this wine. Blackberry and spice are very dominant but flow nicely together. Slight plum towards the end of the taste and the finish lingers long. We were both very impressed with the wine. I even had a tad bit left of the 06 from my earlier post so I could allow Brett to compare vintages. He was amazed how both wines showed the same characteristics and were 4 years apart. Great fruit combined with a great winemaker produces great wine. I'm glad I had the opportunity to share.

Cheers
Dan

No comments: