Sunday, July 17, 2011

Rootstock Festival Tastelive July 16th


Ok I have to admit this was one of the more interesting Tastelive events I have participated in. Chef Bob Blumer cooking 5 wine paired dishes from his newest cookbook and the segment was correctly named "Eat the Clock. The hilarious part was poor Bob having issues with the butane burners staying lit while good natured Ziggy Eschliman (ZiggyTheWineGal) was just hammering him "Come on Bob tick tock tick tock). So while my fellow wine bloggers and I are watching the first half hour we are tasting the wines paired with todays meals. Today's wines were the 2009 Sauvignon Blanc Benziger Family Winery, 2008 Reserve Chardonnay Russian River Valley Rodney Strong Vineyards, 2009 Pinot Noir Russian River Valley Sequana Vineyards, 2007 Stagecoach Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley from Krutz Family Cellars. The 5th wine due to shipping issues never arrived so the 2006 D"Argenzio Zinfandel Russian River Valley will be a post all its own. The wines were all very tasty and I was definately spoiled drinking them.

Thinking I was a tad off this evening because on a couple of the wines my fellow bloggers seemed to identify a couple flavors and as well a couple aromas which I didn't. We started with the 2009 Sauvignon Blanc Benziger Family Vineyards. Initially the aromas of lime/lemon zest, grapefruit were dominant for me with the juicy lemon, mineral and grapefruit once in my mouth. I went back though as my fellow bloggers were picking up some tropical fruit notes and I could sense some melon towards the middle of the taste. Crisp, refreshing and perfect for this heat wave we are having. I commented I think this wine would pair well with a pan fried tilapia I make crusted in panko with lemon thyme. A nice start to the evening.

Next up the 2008 Reserve Chardonnay Rodney Strong Vineyards. A perfect chardonnay. The aroma of baked apple, spice, vanilla was as if my grandmother was here baking her famous apple pies and apple crisp. The pear, apple were layered with a creamy vanilla and the oak finish terrific. Elegant wine and one that will be in my cellar for the future. Definately spoiled me with this wine.


The third wine of the evening the 2009 Sequana RRV Pinot Noir. As my buddy Dezel (MyVineSpot) would say "How was that Pinot Miles" LOL. I really enjoyed the aroma of the earth/dust combined with the ripe cherry and fresh cut rose pedal finishing with spice. The flavors flowed nicely from the juicy cherry to the red raspberry/strawberry followed by the warming spice and finishing with the classic earthiness. I felt like I was in the vineyard smelling the soil and vines as I tasted the wine.

The final wine of the evening the 2007 Krutz family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Stagecoach Vineyards. I opened this wine an hour before tasting, decanted and my fellow bloggers were identifying a couple different aromas. Trust me when I say this was an outstanding cabernet. When I first opened the bottle the smoke and oak came racing out. Once in the glass the rich dark fruit aroma of blackberry, a hint of tobacco, leather, smokey vanilla and oak. The flavor of blackberry, some dark cherry, a hint of molasses finishing with a touch of smoke and oak. A perfect prepared steak would be awesome with this wine. I am keeping another bottle in the cellar and want to in a month revisit and taste to see if I identify additional aromas.

What a great week of wines. The opportunity to taste Krutz Family Vineyard wines for the first time, Sequana, Benziger, to the old friends of Rodney Strong Vineyards and Gloria Ferrer Winery all having outstanding portfolios, each glass was a treat. Cailyn and Joe thank you for allowing me to participate. To the wineries again my thanks for allowing me to drink exceptional wine.

Cheers
Dan

No comments: