Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Cornerstone Cellars Sauvignon Blanc vertical 09, 10, 11 Napa Valley


*Tonight's wines were samples received from the winery*

I can honestly say when it comes to Sauvignon Blanc I have never in my dreams ever considered allowing it to age. Like many my first thought is drink white wines young and let the reds age. Craig Camp of Cornerstone Cellars opened my eyes and I have a new found love for this grape. All 3 wines were paired with fresh crab cakes and creamy risotto drizzled lightly with fresh lemon juice and a dusting of parsley.

I started the evening off with the 2009 and all I can say is wow! On the nose a nice lemon/lime citrus with cantaloupe and fresh melon. Hints of creamy vanilla and grapefruit notes followed by minerals. There was this richness on the nose that carried over to the taste. Loads of lemon citrus and melon with rich creamy vanilla. Slight hint of grapefruit and mineral and the finish is lingering. Amazingly soft wine and I almost forgot I was drinking Sauvignon Blanc. The food pairing was superb with the creamy crab/risotto complimented by the richness of the wine.

The 2010 was equally nice with a bit more acidity and fruit. On the nose lemon, grapefruit with some white peach and orange zest. This one too had the stone fruit/mineral character but the fruit was bigger than the 09. The mouth was full of lemon, lemon and lemon citrus. White peach, creamy vanilla and the orange citrus along with more of the grapefruit notes. Mineral character on the finish which again lingered. Well balanced. The dish paired equally as well with this wine and more with the risotto seasoned with saffron. My palate is singing.


The 2011 was the green wine of the three and to me with the fresh cut grass notes and big huge grapefruit notes. Lemon citrus and melon. As I tasted this wine it was by far the more acidic of the group. The mouth was very citrus with lemon, melon and grapefruit. Would love to see how this wine softens over the next 2-3 years but was very good. Great with the crab cakes!

I'm convinced great Sauvignon Blanc can be laid down for a few years courtesy of Craig and Cornerstone Cellars. Quality wine making from these folks and I'm really impressed with all 3 wines this evening. Stop by their tasting room in beautiful Yountville next time your in the Napa Valley. First class hospitality and exquisite wines. What a great way to spend an afternoon. Craig as always thank you for treating me to these delicious gems.

Save on Travel To Napa

 *Tonight's wines were samples received from the winery*

Cheers
Dan

No comments: