Sunday, April 27, 2014

Meet The winemaker Byron Dooley Of Seven Of Hearts Wine At First Avenue Wine House


Last Thursday I got to hang with the cool kids Byron and Dana Dooley of Seven Of Hearts Wine at my equally cool friend Traci's wine store 1st Avenue Wine House It was another meet and greet the winemaker and since I purchased a bottle a few weeks ago a big fan of Byron's wines and was really looking forward to meeting him. The weather was rainy so all the tastings were inside. I felt like we chatted for hours about his wine philosophy, vineyards and you could tell the passion he has for producing delicious wine.

We started with the 2011 Seven Of Hearts Gran Moraine Chardonnay. Really nice with apple, pear, melon, baking spice and creamy butterscotch. Well done! I loved this one so much it was a purchase and I had Byron sign the bottle.

The 2012 Seven of Hearts Viognier/Rousanne was an equally refreshing and delicious white wine this evening. Pineapple, pear, lime zest with hints of wildflower, honey and ginger. Crisp and clean with a little kick. I was immediately craving a spicy Asian dish to go with this wine.

The 2012 Seven Of Hearts Pinot Noir was the 3rd wine of the evening and a wine I have tasted the prior vintage. This wine is produced from all 5 of the Willamette Valley Vineyards and is classic Pinot Noir in my opinion. Ripe cherry and strawberry with an earthy character. Nice cinnamon, clove, cola notes with a hint of floral. Even a small hint of dark plum. Very nice flow to this wine and yes another purchase of the evening. Talking with Byron I was surprised you could lay this down for another 12 yrs. Byron while I believe you there is no way this tasty morsel will make it 12 years in my house without this wino pulling the cork :)

Up next the 2012 Estate Grown Luminous Hills Yamhill-Carlton Pinot Noir. Deep rich dark cherry flavor with a subtle hint of black licorice. Raspberry, cranberry and strawberry followed by cloves and earth. Dried herbs were present as well. Little more spice and richness to this pinot which I love. We talked about pairing this with my grilled pork loin with a pomegranate/cherry reduction sauce and suddenly I was extremely hungry.

The 5th wine of the evening and forgive me for not writing down the vintage was the Seven Of Hearts GSM a blend of Grenache, Syrah and Mourvedre. While a big wine I thought it showed some elegance. I would pair this with a nice beef dish. Blackberry, raspberry, some pomegranate and cherry with a wild violet note. Cloves, sweet vanilla, leather and smokey oak on this dark inky wine. Wonderful flow and I really enjoyed the layers of fruit and spice.

The last wine or what I thought was the last was the Seven Of Hearts Tradition Blend of Cabernet, Merlot and Cab Franc. Another rich wine with loads of dark fruit. Plum, blueberry, blackberry with smokey oak and spice. Another wine where the layers of fruit and spice compliment very well.

Finally Byron whips out this Pinot Noir Port which he does not make every year. All I will say is I need to buy some and talk about a blast of pinot in your mouth. Something about the warmth of port with the rush of of lush cherry. Oh how I want this to sip after dinner or sitting by my fireplace this winter.

Byron and Dana what a pleasure it was to meet you and chat about the wines of Seven Of Hearts. I could have spent the whole night listening. Thanks for signing the bottles Byron. They will become part of the "bottle shrine" in the near future.Traci you always put on a great event. Sorry the weather was rainy and dreary but the flow through the shop with the light snacks was tasty.

Cheers
Dan

No comments: