Friday, January 14, 2011

2008 Toad Hollow Unoaked Chardonnay Francine's Selection


Chardonnay lovers have so many wonderful choices and styles to choose from today. I see the questions posed many times by friends on facebook and twitter "Do you like the traditional buttery, heavy oaked chardonnay or the new unoaked fruit forward chardonnay?" For the record I like both but starting to sway in a little different direction. Something about wonderful layers of fruit flavor with no oak or little oak really pleases my palate.

My first introduction to unoaked or oak free chardonnay as some refer to it, was on my trip to Napa last June (Passaggio and St Supery). I now have a 3rd to add to that awesome list the 2008 Toad Hollow Vineyards Unoaked Chardonnay. Crisp, refreshing, full of fruit its one you will definitely want to drink and keep on hand.

Once in the glass the aroma of green apple crisp and fresh fills your nose. As I continued to swirl the glass citrus tickled my nose. The aroma of this wine excites you and suddenly to heck with smelling it's time to let the palate enjoy.

Just like the aroma the wine is awesome. The apple/melon combination at the beginning of the taste followed by a hint of mango is very pleasing. Love the quick hit of mineral right before the creamy finish which really lingers long.

Pick up a bottle today to share with friends this weekend. I know they will enjoy it as well.

Cheers
Dan

No comments: