Wednesday, March 30, 2011

2007 Edward Sellers Syrah Selectionnee Paso Robles


My latest post comes courtesy of "the wine fairy" who so nicely dropped this wonderful Paso Robles Syrah (only 598 cases produced) sample at my door step. It's my first post from the Edward Sellers Vineyards and excited to learn more about their wines.

Edward Sellers Vineyards was established in 2003 in the booming farm community of Paso Robles by Ed and his wife Dani. Ed even described the area as "Napa 30 years ago!" The area they chose "The Templeton Gap Corridor" is perfect for growing their favorite rhone varietals syrah, grenache, mourvedre, roussanne, marsanne and grenache blanc. The soil is rocky where temps can reach 90 but cools nicely by the winds from the Santa Lucia Coastal Mountain Range and the Pacific Ocean. On each bottle of their award winning wines you will find a 32 point compass rose usually found on old world maps chosen specifically by Ed.

When I first poured the wine in the glass just amazed the first aroma was the pronounced smoke. Next the black raspberry with hints of black cherry and oak.

I paired the wine with my family favorite pulled bbq pork sandwiches and homemade slaw. The spice, oak and smoke were perfect with the bbq sauce and meat. Full bodied wine with the star of the taste the dark fruit. The dark fruit gives me flavors of blackberry and black raspberry. The spice and earthiness compliment the fruit perfectly. Hints of dark cherry and oak round out my tasting pleasure. A wonderful bottle of wine and one of the great Syrah's I have tasted. I look forward to enjoying more selections from the Edward Sellers Vineyards portfolio of wines.

Cheers
Dan

1 comment:

Matt Browne said...

Thanks my friend..great job!! Wish I could have shared it with you!!!